Monday, August 24, 2020

Tasha's Cauldron of Everything: New Rulebook for D&D 5E

 Well, we got it right (I won't say "I" got it right, as I'm far from the only one to guess at this.)

Tasha's Cauldron of Everything will be the new Xanathar's-like supplementary rulebook for D&D 5th Edition.

Let's look at the highlights:

New Subclasses and the Artificer:

The Artificer is getting published in a setting-agnostic book (AL fans rejoice) along with new subclasses for every class. If you look at the posts I made yesterday, you can see my thoughts on which UA subclasses I'd like to see make it in there.

New Character Options:

There will be new ways to customize class features (maybe making Rangers less terrible!?) as well as options to change racial features (I imagine like untying ability scores to races) and some new tools for figuring out your character's origins.

Group Patrons:

Presumably building on the Group Patron feature from Eberron: Rising from the Last War, this is an organization or powerful NPC that you can structure adventures around over the course of a campaign.

Spells, Artifacts, and Magic Tattoos:

The good stuff. Magic Tattoos are like permanent buffs that your character can get, and we all know what spells and artifacts are. The more the merrier!

Miscellaneous New Rule Options:

Sidekicks, supernatural environments, parleying with monsters, etc. It's an "Everything" book, after all!

Puzzles:

Dear lord will this be useful to me as a DM. I never put any puzzles in my dungeons because I am just not confident in my ability to make them. So this is a set of puzzles that you can just drop into a dungeon!

I'm very excited for this book. Xanathar's Guide to Everything is probably my favorite supplementary book they've come out with (well, give or take a Ravnica.)

I'm overjoyed to see the Artificer getting published in what is effectively (in part) PHB3 for 5th Edition. I'm just very curious to see which subclasses made the cut (and if there will be any others that we haven't seen yet - Paladins are a bit thin right now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment