Sunday, August 23, 2020

Unearthed Arcana Subclasses - What I Want to See Made Official

 With the possibility of a new sourcebook (from Tasha/Iggwilv's perspective) I have high hopes for new subclasses to be made official content for D&D. While we've gotten new subclasses in Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, and Mythic Odysseys of Theros, not to mention the entire Artificer class in Eberron: Rising from the Last War, each of these has been linked to particular settings - so while I'd certainly allow any of them for use in my home game, we haven't gotten truly universal new subclasses since Xanathar's.

So I'm going to attempt to do something crazy and go through every subclass they've opened for testing on UA and figure out which I'd most like to see made official.

A note: I'm going to be grading these mostly in terms of flavor and concept, rather than specific mechanics, unless I'm particularly tickled by something. I'm also going to be more dismissive of subclasses that seem really tied to a particular setting that just didn't make it into the book - for instance, the Druid Circle of Stars was clearly meant for Theros, and some of its features were worked into the Nyxborn supernatural gift, so it's likely dead in the water.

Naturally, anything that did get official published (like the Circle of Spores) I'm just going to skip.

Also, spoilers, I'm going to be saying yes to most of these, given that when you actually break it down, there's not a ton per class, and most concepts have at least some potential.

Anyway, let's begin.

Fighter: Brute (No)

This was clearly meant as part of the Ravnica project, and I assume was meant to appeal to the Gruul Clans and possibly the Cult of Rakdos. This subclass was really low on the flavor scale.

Wizard: School of Invention (No)

While very cool, this subclass more or less became the Mizzium Apparatus item that members of the Izzet League could get in Ravnica.

Sorcerer: Giant Soul (Maybe)

The fun thing about this is the way that it's sort of several subclasses in one. The idea of a beefy sorcerer is also a kind of fun departure.

Barbarian: Path of the Wild Soul (Yes)

The notion of a highly magical Barbarian is a really cool concept, and the notion of the Feywild as a world ruled by emotion really works well with Barbarian rage. Plus, there's a random table to roll on for a regular effect.

Monk: Way of the Astral Self (Maybe)

This is a highly mystical monk, with big, magical effects. You essentially conjure a magical projection of your astral body while you fight, which could be cool. I guess I'd prefer a more psionic/psychic version of this flavor of Monk.

Sorcerer: Aberrant Mind (Yes)

This one I think was very popular when it came out. Not only do I think this is a good way to explore how weird sorcerer magic could get, I've also got to confess that I'll always enjoy a little more cosmic horror in my D&D.

Warlock: Lurker in the Deep (Maybe)

Ok, while this is very popular, and has a lot of cool stuff going for it, I feel like there's some potential for confusion here, similar to the Undying - is the Lurker explicitly some kind of Ctuhlu-like Great Old One, or might it just be some relatively mundane Kraken? (Yes, I realize that as a primordial Titan, a Kraken is, arguably, a Cthulu-like monster.) Basically, how Eldritch is this patron?

Cleric: Twilight Domain (Yes)

I think the idea of playing with light and darkness is a sort of unexplored realm, and the visuals of a cleric like this are really enticing.

Druid: Circle of Wildfire (Yes)

Probably my favorite Druid circle, I love two things about this: one, embracing the more elemental side of the class (like Shamans in WoW) and two, that this would be the perfect subclass for an evil druid like someone from the Wicker Man.

Wizard: School of Onomancy (Yes)

There's something really mythic about the idea of names having power, and this subclass more or less creates sidequests for the party, where you can spend a great deal of time researching your foes and learning their true names. I'm a big fan of any class or class option that comes with its own story hook, and this one is rich in that regard.

Fighter: Rune Knight (Yes)

I'm always a fan of subclasses that give non-magic classes some kind of magical capability, and the customization options here are really cool.

Ranger: Swarmkeeper (Yes)

This is so freaking weird and potentially creepy. It's unlike any other Ranger subclass, and so it wins in my book.

Rogue: The Revived (No)

While the idea of being a character who has come back from death is really interesting, and there is something flavorful about being a rogue who did that, this feels more like a level 1 Supernatural Gift than a subclass for a particular class.

Fighter: Psychic Warrior (Yes)

The first of three psionics-based subclasses, I think there's a lot of potential in this concept, and Fighters can always use something interesting beyond hitting things.

Rogue: Soulknife (Yes)

Maybe my favorite of the Psionic subclasses, the notion of summoning blades with your mind is, well, super awesome. Like the Fighter, Rogues can always use something a little extra to give them some flash, and this accomplishes that.

Wizard: Psionics (Maybe)

I think this is always going to struggle with having to represent "pure" psionics. Seems cool, but I'm torn on whether it needs more specificity or if it's perfect as a way to treat Psionics like its own grand school of magic like Evocation or Conjuration.

Barbarian: Path of the Beast (Yes)

I've often thought about RPing a Barbarian as just a straight-up werewolf - transforming when I go into a rage. This is basically that. So yes.

Monk: Way of Mercy (Yes)

Creepy monks? With creepy masks? 100% yes. I think also that letting Monks have some method to heal is a pretty cool idea (bonus points for being a creepy healer.)

Paladin: Oath of the Watchers (Yes)

I like the idea of a hardened, rough-necked Paladin who's not about being a role model or anything, but is just there to get the job done. I also feel like this is an Oath that could be used by an Inquisitor-like character, which is pretty cool in my book.

Warlock: Noble Genie Patron (Maybe)

The lack of a major elemental patron (not to mention dragons) feels like an oversight. This subclass focuses more on the weirdly greedy and capricious nature of genies, though. I'm on the fence.

Bard: College of Creation (Maybe)

I do like the sort of Bedknobs and Broomsticks nature of this subclass. I don't know how well it fits with the Bard's flavor of manipulating minds, though.

Cleric: Unity Domain (No)

I just find the flavor of this a bit thin.

Sorcerer: Clockwork Soul (Yes)

I think anything that focuses on aspects of the Outer Planes that aren't Fiends (and to a lesser extent Celestials) is really cool. And I'm a real sucker for anything clockpunk/steampunk in my fantasy games.

Artificer: Armorer (Maybe)

Holy crap, an Artificer subclass! This is basically the Iron Man subclass, and honestly, that's the only reason I'm dinging it - it's too much of a direct pop culture reference. But it's also freaking awesome, and embracing the Artificer as a full member of the 5E class club (hopefully publishing it in a setting-agnostic book) by giving it new subclasses is a big thumbs up from me.

Druid: Circle of the Stars (Maybe)

The main reason I'm saying this is unlikely is, as stated above, I think this was being considered for the Theros book. That being said, a more cosmic druid is a pretty cool idea (makes me think of Balance Druids from WoW.)

Ranger: Fey Wanderer (Yes)

Giving Rangers a planar theme is a good call, given how they're supposed to be explorers and such. Also, one of my fellow players in one of my D&D games has a backstory that would fit this exactly, so for his sake, I'm saying yes.

Rogue: Phantom (Yes)

This was a rework of the Revived, and I think it solves a lot of its problems.

Warlock: The Genie (Yes)

Again, this refines the Noble Genie and balances their elemental nature with their classic Genie traits in a way I find much more compelling.

Wizard: Order of Scribes (Maybe)

Reworking the Artificer Archivist subclass, this is fairly whimsical, which it gets points for, but it's also insanely complicated.

Bard: College of Spirits (Yes)

Dripping with flavor, this might need some tweaking (I think someone figured out that at level 14 you have infinite healing if you just keep rolling your d6 and use it each time you get a 3) I am 100% on board with this.

Warlock: Undead Patron (Yes)

Ok, this has one major hurdle - it more or less overwrites the Undying. But this is what the Undying should have been from the start, and I love it and please make it a thing. I realize that the extra d10 on every damage roll from the 6th level feature might be overpowered (making every Eldritch Blast crit, effecitvely) but I think this could be tweaked down slightly (maybe make it a d8 or a d6?) but it's a beautiful, flavorful subclass and I want it.

Whew!

So that's everything. Let's tally up each class.

Artificer: Armorer

Barbarians: Path of the Wild Soul, Path of the Beast

Bard: College of Creation, College of Spirits

Cleric: Twilight Domain, Unity Domain

Druid: Circle of Wildfire, Circle of the Stars

Fighter: Brute, Rune Knight, Psychic Warrior

Monk: Way of the Astral Self, Way of Mercy

Paladin: Oath of the Watchers

Ranger: Swarmkeeper, Fey Wanderer

Rogue: The Revived, Soulknife, Phantom

Sorcerer: Giant Soul, Aberrant Mind, Clockwork Soul

Warlock: Lurker in the Deep, Noble Genie, Genie, Undead

Wizard: School of Invention, Psionics, Onomancy, Order of Scribes

So, actually, once you tally them up, this is a pretty appropriate number of subclasses per class, with some exceptions. Naturally, the Revived and the Noble Genie would be dropped in favor of their revisions. Paladins could use an additional oath. I could imagine Artificers might be reprinted whole-cloth in a new book, and so just adding a single new subclass would bring that to four in that one book.

While reprints can be disappointing, it might be good to see some of the setting-specific subclasses (Circle of Spores, College of Eloquence, maybe the Chronurgist or Graivturgist) added into a setting-agnostic sourcebook. I know a lot of Adventurer's League players would be really into that, assuming that the new book were AL-legal.

I'd previously thought there might be too many subclasses open for testing to fit in a book, but frankly, 2-4 new subclasses is about what we got with Xanathar's. So just a new one or two for Paladins and maybe Artificers, and you've got some real content for a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment