Saturday, August 15, 2020

Zagoth... I Mean Sultai Ramp

 Looking through my collection, I realized that I had a lot of the components of the current top standard deck, Sultai Ramp. The deck is basically a mix of control - using black creature-destruction and the insane Casualties of War for... everything destruction. Then, you win with Hydroid Krasis, Nissa, and Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath.

The tricky thing here is that the deck calls for 4 Krases and 4 Uros. I have 1 and 2, respectively, and I'm hesitant to burn Mythic wildcards especially with the Krasis rotating out of Standard in just a month or two.

So I filled it with... some random crap I have!

Though I'm missing one Nissa, I had most of the other parts, and as I suspect that the Ikoria Triomes are going to be broadly valuable in decks for the next year, I happily burned two rare wildcards to fill out my Zagoth Triome collection (I also burned two to fill out Savai, meaning the only one I don't have 4 of is Raugrin - when I have a Jeskai/America deck I'm really into I'll probably fill out that last bit.)

The deck works pretty well, and doesn't feel as tricky to pull off as the Bolas/Discard deck I worked together a couple weeks ago. Your win conditions here are straightforward, and you just use the black to tear through your opponent's defenses.

This is a deck that will either need massive reworking or might just die when Hydroid Krasis rotates out of standard, but on the other hand, I've filled in the creatures with a Stonecoil Serpent (finally got one!) as well as a Polukranos, Unchained, which is super fun to use even if I'm not sure that it's a particularly good card (though the fact that it can block deathtouch creatures and survive is a big win.)

But for now, it's a pretty meaty, fairly effective one. Obviously, now that I've blogged about it I'm sure I'll start getting a string of defeats, but I feel like I have a few pretty solid decks that I've been enjoying.

I'm eager to get experimental when Zendikar Rising comes out, but I don't think we have an exact release date for that (hopefully before World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, which I suspect will be my main gaming focus for a while.)

No comments:

Post a Comment