Thursday, June 6, 2019

Baldur's Gate 3 Announced

After 19 years, the Baldur's Gate computer game series is getting a new installment.

While I don't know much about the plot (not that I know a ton about the previous games,) it appears that BG3 is going to be built off of 5th Edition D&D, just as the earlier games were built around 2nd Edition rules. Again, I've only played 5E, so I might have a better chance of making sense of the game when it comes out.


What we witness in the trailer is somewhere presumably in the eponymous city, where there are a ton of dead Flaming Fist mercenaries (who serve as the de facto city watch in the Sword Coast's roughest town) dead in the streets. One such mercenary, still alive (though soon we'll wish he had been among the dead for his sake) stumbles into view. He hears some strange whispers, and then he begins to undergo a horrific transformation.

Those of us who have read Volo's Guide to Monsters recognize what's going on - Cereomorphosis - where the eldritch aberrations known as the Ilithid (aka Mind Flayers) send one of their larval tadpoles into the head of a humanoid, allowing it to grow inside until it can mutate the entire body to become a new Ilithid.

And as this abomination wearing the armor of the man whose body it just stole emerges, we see that the skies are filled with more Ilithid, levitating as their kind is capable of doing, while the massive tentacles of one of their Nautiloid ships can be seen in a flash of lightning amidst the stormclouds.

So, I'll confess that I started playing the remastered version of Baldur's Gate and I just could not get a feel for it. I know that these games are legendary and considered some of the best computer RPGs of all time, but something about the sort-of-turn-based-but-you-have-to-keep-pausing gameplay felt really unwieldy to me.

On the other hand, given that I've internalized a lot of 5th Edition rules, I might stand a better chance of getting it this time.

If it comes out for Mac, I might give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment