Sunday, June 2, 2019

Kaz Kariko, Wood Elf Monk

The other day I played at the Dragon & Meeple, a game store/bar and restaurant (yes, you read that correctly) in South L.A. right near USC, which I hereby shout out.

They do Adventurer's League games there, and one of my friends ran a session in which I tried out (and loved) my new character, Kaz Kariko.

Due to AL rules, I couldn't quite build the character I wanted (I would have preferred an Air Genasi purely for flavor reasons, but given that his subclass he'll be taking at level 3 is from Xanathar's, and AL requires only PHB+1 characters (meaning you can only pick race and class and I believe background from the Player's Handbook and one other source,) I was going to have to either drop my chosen subclass or go with a race from the PHB, and I chose the latter. That said, Wood Elves make great Monks.

Anyway, Kaz (originally I was going to call him Kex, but my Dragonborn Fighter I play in another game is named Jax, which seems a little close) is a Guild Artisan, and I made him a member of the Baker's Guild, so he's constantly covered in flour and powdered sugar. The intention is for him to be a Drunken Master, so in addition to cooking, he'll also be able to make booze (and I'll say also nice teas) for the party.

The adventure we ran (a 2-hour adventure, but with bonus objectives so we all got to level up with 4 advancement blocks) involved us going back in time to try to find something with the same resonance as a magic ring we were given by the Blackstaff of Waterdeep. We came across a manor house and I convinced the guard we were caterers and began to offer donut holes to everyone. The DM (my friend) decided that no one in this distant past had ever seen any pastries that small before, and so these donut holes became a real strategy for us to get in good with the people there.

Anyway, the module itself was... oddly written, so there was only one combat encounter that we were expected to flee from. Eventually we came to understand that (it was an official mod, not written by the DM, so she was kind of with us on not really thinking this worked that well as an exciting adventure.)

But the character was a load of fun, and I'm very excited at all the cool things Monks get as they level. Already at level two I've got a 45-foot movement speed and I get my basic Ki abilities (Flurry of Blows, Step of the Wind, and Patient Defense.)

Meanwhile, tonight, in the other game I'm a player in (we've got... a lot of D&D going on at my apartment these days. I also have the game I DM,) I'm about one fight away from hitting level 5, which should be very exciting for the party as a whole, because there are two fighters, a monk, a paladin, and a warlock, all of whom will be getting a serious boost in damage potential. (I'm also going to have to start making a real decision between using Booming Blade or regular attacks. The former should always be the choice for creatures with resistance or immunity to nonmagic attacks, but you have a somewhat higher damage potential hitting twice with your normal attacks if they don't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment