Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Nintendo Announcements at E3 2019

As you might be aware, there's a big gaming convention going on. I'm not going to go exhaustively into every announcement - I recommend checking out whatever your preferred gaming news site is, but I figured I'd mention some things that caught my eye from Nintendo.

Zelda:

First off, there was a tease for a sequel to Breath of the Wild. While I don't know if it will be the same mechanically, it does appear to be a new Zelda game with the same graphical style.

BotW is a game I have mixed feelings about. On one hand, I appreciate the sense of play and exploration, and the sweeping majesty of its game world. But I also think that its game world fell into a bit of a "samey-ness" trap that open-world games often suffer from. It's all well and good to go from deserts to forests to snowy mountains, but when every dungeon and shrine looks the same once you go underground, it kind of takes the fun out of it. Also, I think if every sword, bow, and shield had about ten times the durability, it might have felt less annoying to see them break.

I'll be very curious to see if they keep the survival/resource feel of the previous game or give us a more traditional Zelda experience.

Also, the remake of Link's Awakening will have a custom dungeon editor.

Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters:

As someone who very eagerly got the Smash Pass, I'm pretty happy to see two new fighters announced as DLC.

First, and to me, more exciting, is Banjo-Kazooie. This Bear with a Bird in his backpack debuted originally in Diddy Kong Racing, a game that took Donkey Kong's sidekick and then gave us a bunch of potential new IPs for Rareware back when Rare was one of the greatest video game studios. Among the roster, only Banjo and, hilariously, Conker (whose initial kid-friendly game was scrapped in favor of an irreverent one that was more Fritz than Felix) wound up getting their own 3D platformers.

Additionally, they'll be getting "The Hero," which represents the various protagonists of the prolific Dragon Quest series (which I think has been around as long as Final Fantasy but for some reason I've never talked with anyone who has ever played them.)

Mana Collection:

Secret of Mana holds a very special place in my heart - my oldest friend and I used to play in endlessly when we were in middle school, the only Squaresoft RPG that you could play co-op. Three of the games in the Mana series, including Secret of Mana, will be getting released as a collection, including one previously never released in America. Additionally, that unreleased game, now given an english title of Trials of Mana, is also getting a 3D remake coming next year.

Luigi's Mansion:

I've actually never played any of the Luigi's Mansion games, but there's a new one coming to the Switch. Cool! It apparently lets you turn into, at points, "Gooigi," which is a Luigi made of goo that can slime its way along walls and such.

Anyway, there's way more news even from Nintendo, but those are the highlights I'm most interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment